Caz
This weeks theme on the Homeschool Blog hop, is Style... homeschooling style of course ;)  (Yes, I realize I haven't done all 5 homeschool blog hops, but I thought I'd number it for continutity sake with the rest of the blog hoppers.)   

I have no idea what I'd call my/our homeschooling style honestly!  I try to be very relaxed, and open to natural learning opportunities when they present themselves.   I like to use hands on things that are engaging, as well as FUN for the boys to learn with.  

We use classical STYLE history (the 4year chronological cycle that repeats) and are just going to start our Medieval period year, but we are not classical homeschoolers.  That just seems like far too much work for me!  Although I like the *idea* of it.

I tested out Waldorf in the beginning.. and while I like the gentleness of it, the philosphy and such behind it is *just* a little too unusual for me I guess.    But we do still keep a nature table and decorate it seasonally :)

Currently we use a hodgepodge of stuff... Math u see, History Odyssey are both pretty hands on.  Then we have workbooky stuff for grammar and such.   We do outsourced classes for art and gymnastics as well as some outsourced LOTE (Japanese) , dance & music twice a month.  Some stuff is done via web based programs as well.  So I really do think I qualify as pretty damned eclectic lol.

However, a blog I read, and the one that hosts this hop even lol, has a fair few links to Montessori information.  I find myself thinking that some Monti materials added into our homeschool would be a good thing!  I like the idea that I can make/get materials that are tied to things we are studying, and can make them available so the kids can choose to pull  them out to work with whenever they want.  So I'll be looking into adding a few bits here & there, as soon as I score a laminator and paper cutter :) 

So, while I'm not EXACTLY sure what my style is, I can tell you very much what it is not.  I do not what my kids to feel like they are in school... just at home.  We're too non traditional in so many ways, that it would feel weird for us! (ok, for ME maybe.  I think it would just feel to 'stiff' for the boys).   

So, in a nutshell.. We're classical in our history, traditional in our grammar type stuff, kinda unit studyish in science & social studies and looking to add some Montessori influence here & there in all areas of study to give the kids more self direction.  

Look forward to seeing everyone else's posts!




MckLinky Blog Hop
8 Responses
  1. Debbie Says:

    I sometimes wonder if any of us actually fit into just one style! Great post and thank you for sharing.


  2. Mommy Moment Says:

    Thanks for sharing! It is so nice to see how other moms do it. Your post was very informative!
    Jody from Mommy Moment!


  3. Kez Says:

    Eclectic works for me too :)


  4. Supermommy Says:

    Hello, I'm a day late, but still wanted to thank you for sharing! We all seem to have a very mixed bag of style!


  5. Unknown Says:

    I am a new follower! i don't think anyone fits into only one style! Nice to meet you!


  6. Caz Says:

    Thanks for popping in ladies!


  7. Ticia Says:

    I think of all the blogs I've read, description wise you're the closest to me. We love math u see.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Its great to be flexible. That's the best part of homeschool