Caz

Ok... I was a total slacker last night after I got home from belly dance class and did not make the eggy pies I said I was going to.  In my own defence though, it was 8pm and I'd have been cooking & cleaning till 10.. so screw that!  I figured I could redeem myself somewhat, by sharing the joy that is/are eggy pies, with you fine people  :D    I have no eggy pie picture, but hopefully I will remember to take one tonight to add later.  My recipe's are not overly exact.. so bear with me!

Caz's zucchini mini quiche

5 beaten eggs
3 good sized zucchini, shredded
1 onion, shredded
1c cheese, shredded
1c flour (not shredded ;)
125g (give or take) chopped bacon, cooked till crispy
chopped chives
salt & pepper


After you have everything shredded, mix all ingredients together. It should be a fairly thick mixture.. if it's too runny, add a little more flour :) Salt & pepper to taste.  I give my muffin pans a light spray with oil to prevent sticking, but it's not *usually* a problem.

Scoop into muffin cups (we use mini muffin pans, as the Merrymeister likes bite sized foods) and bake until the tops are lightly tinged with golden brown goodness & a skewer inserted comes out clean. Usually 20-30minutes at 350ish. (this will vary depending on what sized muffin pans you're using of course, so I just check them regularly by stabbing one with a wooden skewer.. if it comes out clean it's done, But I like golden brown so I would be tempted to turn on the broiler for a minute if they were pale :D ) 

These are also rockin good with chorizo instead of the bacon, just chop it up & brown it.  We had to go back to bacon as it gave us equally rockin heartburn lol.

The boys always help me do the work with these, and we make these nearly every week.  They are household favourites for preschool lunches & picnics out! 

Enjoy!  And if anyone has a go at making them, drop me a note to let me know what you thought :)  

Labels: edit post
3 Responses
  1. Wendy Says:

    That sounds absolutely scrumptious. I like including my son in the cooking too, although he gets bored easily. LOL Maybe I need to try this recipe and see how he responds!


  2. Caz Says:

    It's also a good way to convince him to eat veggies if he won't ;) Frodo is not a massive fan of zucchini on it's own, but will eat his weight in eggy pies lol.

    With my guys, boredom isn't the issue.. it's wanting to do EVERYTHING and NOW lol. So instead of this nice Norman Rockwell type scene, you find mum (me) looking mightily frazzled and trying to hold it together long enough to get the damn things in the oven LOL.


  3. Sounds yummy! I wonder if they'd be good after being frozen? Have you tried that yet? (Maybe I'll try and let you know! LOL!)